Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Highly recommended...

Boy is it an utterly beautiful day in my city. The sun is shining. There is no wind (unusual). It is calm and crisp and lovely.

Same could be said for my state of mind. Yes I'm eating way too much at the moment and am being a bit of a pig. But aside from letting myself down in that department I feel like I'm cruising along ok.

I'm working hard keeping up with things at Living Sober and that space is humming along brilliantly. (If you're worried about your drinking and are not a member of that community you're a fool, and I mean that in the nicest possible way!)

I'm keeping fairly active on my other social media accounts but not too much so that I'm permanently wedded to my phone. My new permanent rule of no technology in the bedroom is really super-lovely and I highly recommend it. Every evening I put my phone & laptop on to charge in the kitchen and leave them there (often long before I even retire to bed), and often I don't check anything in the morning until after I have showered & gotten dressed which is very healthy I think.

In general I am staying fairly mindful and regularly have little moments where I flick a switch in my brain and pull myself back down into what is happening right in front of me and not what is happening in my head (furious inner dialogue about something or another).

I walk the dog most days and now it's the school holidays I am dragging my boys up the hill with me and we have lovely chats while we wander along the tracks and the dog scampers around us joyfully.

I manage to watch quite a bit of tele which I love.

And I do an awful lot of cooking and cleaning. Cooking and cleaning and cooking and cleaning and cooking and cleaning and cooking and cleaning. And parenting. Cooking and cleaning and parenting - talking to my kids about what is going on for them and taking them places and organising things for them and paying for things for them and replying to emails about organising and paying for things for them and talking to them more and did I mention cooking and cleaning?

All of this is quite boring but I suppose my point is I am living my busy, ordinary, motherly, housewifey, bloggers, writery life and I am managing it all ok and my moods are fairly stable and I attribute it all to the fact that I am sober.

I cannot even begin to imagine how I would be handling things if I were still boozing.

I shudder to think.

Living without alcohol - although hard bloody work at first and a big adjustment - is imminently doable and highly recommended.

Highly, highly recommended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love, Mrs D xxx

5 comments:

  1. It's the simple things that hit home about sobriety I think. A light mood, the ability to function, noticing a pretty day. I enjoy your posts that point out that basic life is better, runs better, when clear headed.

    Sometimes it is refreshing to note that this is not rocket science, or even health science so much as a life lived BETTER for being sober.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing I do more than cook and clean, is LAUNDRY! #momstruggles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to being ordinary and happily sober for the long term. Thanks for being an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished your book. I lived it! This is day one for me. Although I've had a lot of day ones, this one feels different. But I keep going from confident to anxious every five seconds. I will not go to the liquor store today. I am driving straight home from work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your article on alcoholism, here's a new article released by Drug Free Lifestyle on how to quit drinking and stay sober that I hope helps some people out there on their journey. http://drugfreelifestyle.org/quit-drinking-and-stay-sober/

    ReplyDelete